Monday, August 10, 2015

Urban Decay Matte Revolution Lipsticks [swatches & review]

Urban Decay takes the cake when it comes to gorgeous neutral palettes. With the launch of the first Naked palette in 2010 the beauty world was transformed. It's success spurred a slew of knock-off palettes and encouraged many other beauty brands to come out with their own version. Neutral palette lovers rejoiced and all was well in the world of beauty. Over the last few years Urban Decay has continued to step-up their game and the release of their new Matte Revolution lipsticks was no different.
Urban Decay released 9 shades of the Matte Revolution lipstick last month. As a sucker for a matte lipstick, I lusted after them. I watched a few swatch videos on these lipsticks, and even with the minimal hype, I knew I needed to get my hands on them! I picked three up during a Shoppers Drugmart spend your point event. Of course, I picked up the three purple shades, because that is my weakness: Bittersweet, After Dark and Blackmail.
Bittersweet is described as a "matte bright purple" on Sephora. I would say that it is a bright light-medium almost lavender purple. After Dark is described as "matte medium-dark berry pink". It reminds me a lot of Mac Rebel. It has almost a blue-ish duochrome to it. It isn't enough to call it a frost, it just makes it look more interesting on the lips. You can't see it in the picture but I love it. These two go on super smooth and feel ultra comfortable on the lips. I also love the rounded shape of the bullet which makes for ease of application around the cupid's bow (if your cupid's bow is rounded like mine).
Blackmail is described as a "matte deep berry wine". It is a very dark, dramatic lip, which is a lot coming from me. In the swatches above you can see it applied fully (left) and also just lightly applied with my fingers as a stain. Dark colours like this always allow for you to lighten the application to make different looks. I personally always enjoy them at full opacity. I found that this one was a little bit slicker and therefore trickier to work with. It clung to my dry patches a bit more and because of the dimension in this shade it tended to fade slightly patchy. But I do think the colour is to die for. It's a little difficult to work with but I love it nonetheless. If you are a lover of vampy lips, you will adore this colour. It isn't for the faint of heart.

The formulation of these mattes is fantastic. They remind me of the Maybelline Creamy Matte's, which are one of the other most comfortable mattes for the lips that I have tried. If you hate drying lipsticks or want to baby step into matte lips, these are the lipsticks for you. I am obsessed. I really hope that Urban Decay extends the line. 9 is just not enough. I own 1 of their regular Revolution lipsticks and I found them almost too glossy and just meh but these babies have put me under their spell and I am obsessed! Here's hoping more are released in the future because I will definitely scoop them up!



1 comment: