Thursday, October 9, 2014

Project Self Control: The Makeup Buying Ban

As I stated in my last post, I have a problem. I own too much makeup. To combat this, I embarking on what I am calling Project Self-Control. A makeup buying ban. No matter how much makeup I have I just keep wanting to buy more and more. IMATS Toronto is November 20th and I plan on attending. I went to IMATS last year (check out my review here) and I had a blast. There are great deals and a lot of niche makeup brands that I can't normally get my hands on. Since I know I am going to buy a ridiculous amount of makeup there, I need to curb my spending until then. Also, this will help me save up so I can afford to buy a ridiculous amount of makeup at IMATS.
This is my life.
My makeup buying ban started on October 1st and goes until November 20th. This is actually going to be more of a beauty buying ban. I have enough of everything beauty related. Because I like to break and bend rules, I have created a rigid set of rules, which also gives me a smidge of wiggle room.
  1. I can not buy any makeup, beauty, nail polish, skincare or haircare products during this time. The only exception is if I run out of a product that I do not have a back-up of or similar product. For example, I am running out of my body scrub and I do not own another one so I can purchase one of these if I need to. 
  2. I am giving myself 2 freebies. I know, I have no will power. The Rocky Horror Picture Show collection from MAC launched in store on October 2nd and I needed to get my hands on it. I couldn't possibly live without the Rocky Horror lipsticks. So I have already used my first freebie, but it was well worth it. I don't know what my second freebie will be but I am going to try and not use it.
  3. Gifts don't count. Christmas is approaching and once I see those cute gift sets in Sephora I might need to scoop them up for some of my friends for Christmas before they are sold out. Although, at this point walking into Sephora at all may be dangerous. And don't worry, I cannot buy myself a gift.
  4. Free items don't count. Since I did my makeup purge this week, I have a bunch of products to back to MAC. Since I do not have to pay for these products, it doesn't count as breaking my ban if I back to MAC for some new lipsticks or eyeshadows. I also have tons of Shoppers Optimum points so if I choose to redeem them it doesn't count either.
These are pretty basic rules, but the fall season is upon us which is my favourite time to acquire makeup. It is going to be hard, but looking forward to IMATS should definitely encourage me to keep to my buying ban. I have done this once in the past for an entire month and didn't waiver. Here's hoping I have enough will power to last through two and a half months.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your buying ban! It's such a hard time of year to do it with all the pretty holiday sets! I'm going to try not to go too crazy at IMATS.

    ReplyDelete